No, I am not trying to prove anything here…I just want to give you a glimpse in to how being a doctor has irrevocably changed me….
- My sense of right and left are distorted, because I always think of the anatomical position. Now this is fine as long as I refer to my left and right side, but becomes a problem when I name right and left according to the anatomical position for anyone in front of me….see the diagram below:montagepages.fuselabs.com
- If you saw this image, you would say her left hand is on the right side of the image, but I would not. The concept of an anatomical position is drilled so deep in me that I will always label left and right in this position.
- Needless to say, I also use words like medial and lateral, and proximal and distal quite commonly!
- I routinely forget that normal people label sleeping positions as “sleeping on the back” or sleeping on the stomach”. Not me….I use the words “supine” and “prone” in common language..(makes it easier because my spouse is a physician too!)www.paramedicine.com
- “Currant jelly” (sputum), “anchovy sauce” (pus), “nutmeg” (liver), “strawberry” (gallbladder), “cafe-au-lait” (skin spot), “watermelon” (stomach) are just some examples of what these food items remind me of. Each of these phrases listed above describes a pathological entity in the body. And I ask my patients on a regular basis if they have “iced tea” or “cola-colored” urine, which if present is suggestive of something ominous…
- I have a legitimate reason to wear pajamas (read scrubs) to work…makes getting dressed in the morning much simpler!
- I habitually postpone/ cancel my doctor’s appointments, while stressing to patients the importance of regular follow-up…
- At the risk of sounding pompous, I would say that I can no longer relate to “Mrs.”… “Ms” is still better, because I heard that one before I became a doctor. Since I got married after completing medical school, I was already used to being called “Dr.”. So now I’m never paying attention when people call me “Mrs.”!
- Happiness is…..not being woken up on call by the annoying ring of the pager..
- Relaxation is…..being able to eat a whole sandwich without interruption..
- Certain things that most women indulge in are useless for me….such as a professional gel manicure (nail-paint gets chipped the next day), maintaining long nails, wearing bangs on my forehead… the list is longer, but I am blanking on other stuff…maybe because I don’t even notice any longer!
That’s all I can think of right now….ciao!